Thursday, November 4, 2010

More Than Hello

Sitting in class at my desk,
A fist knocking my shoulder.
Turning my head at the pest,
A boy with dreadlocked hair,
Green eyes like a crest,
And a student officer sweater.

Noah asked me for my name,
And If I was related to a boy,
With the same surname.
I said "not that I know of"
He said "that is okay . . .,"
People are still cool,
With your last name."

Noah said hello to me in the hall,
I said hey back.
I wish I could have said,
More than hello to him.

That whole semester Noah sat,
In chair in front of me.
He used my desk,
To open his folder.
With me, falling fast,
Tempted to speak,
Tongue ripped by a cat.

I'd see his blue truck,
Every time I went to the mall,
At the restaurant parking lot,
Where he worked.
Noah asked me, one day at lunch.
If I thought he was a dork.
I said no, trying not to blush,
He probably thought I was a jerk.

Chorus


Riding in my mom's van,
I saw Noah on Libby's lawn.
Throwing snowballs at kids,
On their way home.
When I saw Libby at church,
She gushed about him,
About how he asked her,
To go to the prom.

When I came back in the fall,
Noah had graduated in the spring,
No one said hello to me in the hall,
And the silence still stings.

Chorus

** Synopsis: A girl wishes she would have had courage enough to tell her crush she liked him in high school.

No comments: