Tuesday, November 2, 2010

I'll Even Hide the Sharks

Won't you to come see me?
I will not let you drown in my sea.

You used to visit me every summer
On my Atlantic and Pacific sides.
I used to give you seashells,
And take you on rides with my tide.

I see you up there, on that ship (mmm)
I sparkle for you to come in for a dip (mmm),
You'd rather stay dry than spend time wet with me
When you reject my waves, I'm left feeling green
(I'd rather be bright blue with you)

I beg you to come see me.
I will not let you drown in my sea,
Let your dark fears wash away,
Keep them at the bay.
If you stay, I'll even hide the sharks

Ever since you saw Jaws,
You've been afraid of my creatures.
I have turtles, stingrays, and dolphins,
Like you visit in the water park.
Why do you judge me for my sharks?

Go ahead, ditch that sailing trip.
Just play in my crescent waves
Come on, take a dip.

Chorus

I'll meet you on the land.
Embracing your toes on the sand,
Till you want to come in.

Let your fears wash away,
Keep them at the bay.
If you stay, I'll even hide the sharks

***Synopsis: An ocean is trying to get someone, who is afraid of water, to come back.


Monograph

I changed the title from "Why Don't You Want to Swim Anymore?" to "I'll Even Hide the Sharks," based on your suggestion. In the refrain I took out the "baby" and made a reference to sea, to identify the singer, and I also changed the similar lines in the chorus and added the last verse to the chorus to put the title in a power position. I changed the boat from a cruise ship to a "ship" and a "sailing trip," because you suggested to make it a smaller boat. I added a new first verse to have more of a back story of the relationship between the singer and the singee.

In the second verse, I changed "looking green" to "feeling green," as a reference to seasickness. My initial thought was that the ocean would be jealous of the ship and turn green. I changed "(I'd rather be turquoise for you)" to "(I'd rather be bright blue for you)," to emphasize the change of colors on the surface.

In the third verse, I took out "that movie," and I took out the line, "I'm okay if you don't want to swim in the dark," cause I didn't think it made any sense. I also added "I have" to the line "turtles, stingrays, and dolphins," to emphasize that not all the creatures of the ocean are menacing like the sharks. I added, "Like you visit in the water park," to show emphasis of the friendly creatures' safety.

In the seventh verse, I took out "promising," because it clunked and changed the line to "Embracing your toes on the sand," because if the shore is going to meet her on the beach, it would reach her toes first with its water. I changed the first line to "I will meet you on the land." I changed the refrain two from "Why don't you want to swim," adding it to the seventh verse, saying "Till you want to come in." Then I changed the seventh verse to the six verse, because I thought it was out of order.

No comments: