Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Stage

On the July night, I drove to town,
From my uncle's Island Park cabin.
I stood in line with anticipation,
To see the Joseph and his coat.

I came in during the pre-show,
As the red curtain was opening.
The crowded stage was lined with mirrors,
Around three sets of chair bleachers.

A theatre stage who first spotlighted you,
Where your comedic talent was grown,
Where you no longer perform.

You debuted on stage right,
Wearing an orange vest, sparkling bright.
Reminding me of someone I used to like,
In my past before I saw you on stage.

I came back on an August weekend,
To see you, Annie, and her gun.
You flirted with me, but I didn't catch on.
I shook your hand in line, when it was done.

Chorus

The stage was set the next summer.
Seeing three plays with you in three days,
With man-eating plants, devils, and men in plaid.
I didn't know this summer would be our swan song
I came back to find you, but you were gone,
Off this stage to find bigger laughs.

It's been nine years since our last act.
Your stage is now a back lot.
I see your face in commercials in my home state.
I haven't seen any of your films yet.

Chorus

** Synopsis: A song about a guy I saw on a stage at a community theatre who is now a famous actor.

No comments: