Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Are You Being Served?

I thought the episode of Are You Being Served? that we watched was hilarious. I hadn't seen the show before and I liked it because of its setting and plot. I think the British accents added to the humor. The humor was dry, not slapstick. They made jokes about sexuality, class, and toilet humor. Each of the characters represented a different stereotype such as a dumb blonde, a gay guy, the wise cracking employees, and the elderly. The characters were funny through their personalities, trying to play on the stereotypes they represent. They also made fun of the queen, which I assume is a staple of British comedy. It had some risqué humor which was rare for the 1970's.
It was very relatable and current to today's society. It showed us realistically how it would be to work in a department store and trouble people have getting along with their boss and coworkers. While watching, I noticed themes of sexuality, stereotypes, class, and workplace behavior. If sitcoms should have happy endings, then this one ended perfectly with a song and a dance. I would probably watch another episode.

No comments: