Saturday, July 10, 2010

Reading Jane Eyre

I first read Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte about 10 years ago and couldn't put it down. I absolutely loved it and considered it to be one of my all-time favorites. I loved it just as much the second time around. I love how this novel is a romantic mystery and we are given one clue a chapter leading up to the heartbreaking discovery in the attic.

I can relate a lot to Jane, because of her beliefs, her love for drawing, and her desire to have happiness and love over luxuries and wealth. Jane Eyre is a very gripping read, with lots of intense moments mixed with humor. Tom Winnifrith believes, "Jane Eyre fails because its satire is so heavy-handed. We laugh at Mr. Brocklehurst and Baroness Ingram of Ingram Park, but we laugh for the wrong reasons."

While I was reading The Brontes by Tom Winnifrith, I came across a section on Jane Eyre. Winnifrith said, "Mr. Rochester is the most selfish and the most stupid of heroes in wanting to marry Jane with his mad wife in the house and thinking he can get away it" (105). I love the romance between Jane and Mr. Rochester. It reminds me in some ways of Elizabeth and Darcy from Pride and Prejudice, because of their meaningful and intellectual discussions. One of my favorite parts is when Rochester pretends to be a fortune teller to try to get Jane and his friends to reveal what they think of him.

No comments: