Thursday, July 1, 2010

Discussing Frankenstein

We talked a lot about choice and accountability. Like most of my classmates, I felt like Victor took no responsibility for his decisions and shunned the monster, hoping it would go away on its own. I also felt Victor was the true monster of the book and felt bad for the monster. I thought it was interesting that one of my classmates felt bad for Victor, because she believed he was being tortured for making one bad decision in his life.

Someone else compared Victor's reaction to "hit and run" behavior, which made me think of how we tend to judge people quickly for their bad behavior without knowing why they did the things they did. Did we as a society create these monsters, because we didn't offer them a second chance and teach them the right way to act?

While we were discussing the dangers of science and cloning, I was reminded of a quote from Dr. Ian Malcolm, played by Jeff Goldblum in the movie Jurassic Park, where he said, "Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should." I think this quote applies to Frankenstein's message as well.

No comments: