Friday, July 23, 2010

The Hound of Baskervilles

Before reading The Hound of the Baskervilles, I read A Study in Scarlet to understand how the partnership of Dr. Watson and Sherlock Holmes came into existence. I enjoyed the mystery more in Hounds than in Scarlet, because there was more of a buildup to the mystery. Scarlet felt like two different stories with little to connect them. I liked how Doyle only dropped a couple of clues per chapter in Hounds and kept me guessing till the end.

While reading Hounds and Scarlet, I could only picture the characters as Robert Downey Jr. and Jude Law played them in the Guy Richie film adaptation of Sherlock Holmes, which I recently watched. Reading the two novels made me appreciate Richie's version more because I realize he did a great job at capturing the characters' personalities and humor from the novels which the older films have missed. In the older films, I've always viewed Holmes and Law as yawn worthy characters who were stuffy.

Holmes and Watson are a good literary pairing because they seem like total opposites. While Watson is serious and traditionally "by the book", Holmes is my favorite out of the two because he is arrogant, eccentric, and humorous. While he is investigating the murder, he says, "I tell you, Watson, this time we have got a foeman who is worthy of our steel," obviously knowing the immense talents he has to offer in his work. He seems like he makes his investigation perfect without worrying about the proper details.

No comments: