Friday, April 24, 2009

Art Final Project



For my final project, I wanted make a collage to be representation of an actual pier named Creek Street in Ketchikan, Alaska, because I loved the architecture and how all the buildings were on docks on the water. I thought the pictures of it were peaceful and reminded me of places I have been in the Caribbean. I thought the houses would be a good focal point and felt the picture fit into my theme of art and nature. I wanted to show how something humans built can be just as beautiful as the nature that surrounds it.

I wanted to incorporate the way Gary Vlasic at the Phillips Gallery made a form out of different pieces of magazines and/or paint. I also liked the way Fred Tomaselli incorporated different images into his collage, Head, as seen in the textbook, and how his use of black brightened the other colors. When I did the rough draft with the houses in a primary color scheme, I felt there was something missing, with no trees and/or water. I started looking at all the magazines around my house and found pictures of trees and skies that fit into my color scheme

For my final draft, I made a mixed media collage on a foam white board using a color scheme of red, yellow orange, green, and blue violet. I made two houses, sky, trees, and the dock boards out of mod podging pictures from art magazines, newspapers, and other magazines I had around my house. I also painted the windows yellow orange and the doorways blue violet, and painted the dock and the roofs black. . I also hid a few forms of human silhouettes that fit into my color scheme. I also wanted the dock board to be reflective of the houses.

2 comments:

the Johnson Mom said...

Your art work is awesome! I hope that you are looking at going into some type of artwork stuff after school. It is great.

George said...

You did a great job! We were at Creek Street last August. I have other pictures if you want to take a look. Love Aunt Janet