Saturday, January 17, 2009

New Frontier Installations Exhibit

Today, as an assignment for my art class, My Dad and I went to the New Frontier Installations exhibit on Main Street in Park City. This exhibit was unique and interesting, and had many things I liked and many things I didn’t. I really liked the photo walls with the different people and places, including the guy in the t-shirt that said “No One Cares About Your Blog,” the girl with the magnetic poetry on her face with one in the middle saying “I’m Not Crazy,” the hand with bloody fingers, and the one that said “You are the victims of the rules you live by.” I liked how they added ones that said “Image Unavailable” as well. The pictures below were my favorites from the exhibit:

Agency of Time by Leighton Pierce
Form: These digital video screens from long-exposure photography portray blurred images of trees, bodies, rocks, red gloves, red huts and different things you would find in a park or nature itself.
Meaning: I think the message of this art was to look at things in nature in a different way and not be so consumed with time going fast, because as they slowed down or sped up gave you a new way of looking at it.
Success: This instillation was the most interesting to me, because I’ve never seen anything like this before. I’m used to seeing painting and still photographs hanging on a wall, but never digitally moving like I was actually in the park viewing them. This took the most effort with between taking photographs to video screens, to printing the pictures at a standstill to display on the walls, so I appreciate the effort they took.

Exiles of the Shattered Star by Kelly Richards
Form: In this large digital video screen, flaming red balls fall out the clouded sky into the lake between the green mountains. The screen has speakers next to it, which displayed soft and loud bird chirps.
Meaning: I took it as the sky was falling, a sign of the future apocalypse, and the clouds were dark and grey, because of the events that were going to happen. I read on the plaque that the artist, “Kelly Richardson uses cinematic language to create part real/part imagined landscapes which offers a wavering hybrid of fact and fiction that are visual metaphors for our modern reality.”
Success: It caught my eye with its bright colors and visually stunning landscape. It was the biggest piece of art in the entire room.

Endless Pot of Gold CD-Rs by Nasty Nets
Form: This was two computer screens with graphics and animation with headphones next to them. On the first screen, there was an animated man wearing a red t-shirt, a black long sleeve shirt, and jeans, looking at different white walls with computer screens, with red and green lines (solid and dotted) moving in the background. On the second screen, a scrolling web page with different artist’s names and words scrolled together.
Meaning: The first screen was symbolic of me looking at the screens, while the man on the screen was looking at the same thing.
Success: I though the top screen was interesting because it was like a recreation of what was actually happening in the room, but I didn’t care for the bottom screen, with the explicit words. There were only a few pictures on the sidebar and the rest was mostly words.

Mother + Father (Father) by Candice Brietz
Form: Six screens displayed horizontally on the wall in a row, with six channels in a pitch black room, showing clips of films with Harvey Keitel, Dustin Hoffman, Donald Sutherland, Tony Danza, Jon Voight, and Steve Martin as single dads talking about their ex-wives or children.
Meaning: Some single fathers have just as hard of time raising their children as single mothers do, because of the clips they showed.
Success: I thought this was one was sad and an important one, because of its message that I thought the darkness in the room made what was happening on screen a little more important.

No comments: