Monday, June 30, 2008

A & P

While reading M. Gilbert Porter’s critique of John Updike’s “A& P,” I was enlightened with a few lines from the story I missed while reading through the story the first time, like “women with six children and varicose veins mapping their legs” and “once you begin a gesture it’s fatal not to go through with it.”
Porter believes Sammy looks down on the customers and thinks he is better than them, because he is a teenager, “such are the verdicts that Sammy hands down on the patrons of the A & P, rather harshly investing each with his most characteristic animal feature.” I have worked in places where I have been a cashier. I know how strange the people can be some days, and how stressful customers can be on the cashiers. I had one customer who spent like 15 minutes just screaming at me because he didn’t want to follow the company’s policy.
I agree with Porter when he writes about how Sammy was right in letting the girls continue to shop with only swimsuits and asks, “Does the attire of the girls satisfy the requirement of ‘decency’ which the policy of A & P demands?” Since we don’t know exactly what the store’s policy is on paper, we can assume there’s nothing about swimsuits on there.
When I was at work one time, some kid came in with a t-shirt that had the “F” word on it and security made him cover it up with duct tape. Some people’s definition of decency is different than others.
I do agree with Porter when he writes, “That no to follow the voice of conscience is to be false to one’s own integrity and therefore to live a lie, and Sammy has chosen to live honestly and meaningfully.” The manager’s behavior was in the wrong. He targeted those girls based on his own personal opinion, and Sammy had every right to make his own opinion matter.

No comments: