Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Why Do I Have to Pass Out the Candy?

All Hallow's evening, I'm stuck inside,
Trying to watch a scary movie.
My basket is full, my doorbell ringing.
Goodbye to my eight dollar candy.

When I was a kid, Halloween was exciting.
Dressing like witches, vampires, and robots.
Along with pumpkins, parades, and apple bobs,
Candy was deliciously free.

When did Halloween become boring?
Why am I the grown up here?
When did I become the homebody?
Why do I have to pass out the candy?

Turning off the lights, my pumpkin smashed.
It's the same year after year,
I feel I'm being treated to a trick.
I can't believe in the magic anymore.

Wish I could recapture my spark,
But my candle has no wick.
I tell the kids leaving my door,
Enjoy candy till you can't anymore.


*** Synopsis: A grown up wishes she was still a kid during Halloween.

No comments: